Saturday, April 20, 2013

Bionx broken axle - 2nd time - and warranty question

I managed to break the axle on the Bionx on my Trek. That's twice in 3 years. I don't jump curbs and I try to avoid rough road surfaces but I am commuting in NYC and put around 3000 miles a year on the bike. Breaking an axle means that the wheel is useless even though the motor is fine because replacing the axle is a huge job, or so Bicycle Habitat says. They had a spare wheel lying around and I got it for $400. Not too bad since mostly they're around $800. This is the G1 version. Apparently the Bionx system uses a threaded freewheel instead of a cassette, and hardly anyone uses that anymore because part of the axle is unsupported and is prone to break. That' s just where this one sheared off.

Is breaking an axle that common on Bionx wheels? I haven't read much about that but I'm a pretty easy rider on it, rarely going above assist level 2, and I weigh around 190. It seems to me that breaking an axle should not happen.

The first wheel was replaced by Trek under warranty. I am absolutely unable to find out what the warranty is on my new wheel. It should be two years but all I can find on paper is the Bionx warranty covering systems, not replacement parts. I emailed Bionx last week and have heard nothing. I'll check with Bicycle Habitat when I bring the bike in to replace the freewheel in a few days - they didn't have one in stock so it just came in.

I did speak to a nice guy at NYCEWheels and he thought that breaking an axle might not be covered since the warranty is only for manufacturing defects, but I'd argue long and hard over that. A $400 or $800 dollar wheel should not break under normal usage.

Anyone know about this stuff?

Source: http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php/884997-Bionx-broken-axle-2nd-time-and-warranty-question?goto=newpost

kids on bikes diamondback bikes

No comments:

Post a Comment